Hyperpigmentation is one of the most common skin conditions that affects nearly five million Americans.
With the help of cosmetic laser treatments such as Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) photofacials, your clients can say goodbye to hyperpigmentation and other skin-related concerns.
Learn how treatments in the medical aesthetics industry can help erase hyperpigmentation.
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a skin condition in which patches of skin become darker in color than the surrounding skin. This darkening occurs because of excess melanin deposits in the skin and appears as sunspots, acne scars or uneven brown patches.
The most common factors of hyperpigmentation include:
- Genetics. Some individuals are born with more freckles than others. Melasma, a common skin condition, is more common in women than in men.
- Sun damage. Catching rays will cause your skin to produce more melanocytes that lead to dark spots. Sunspots and uneven patches can be found on the cheeks, nose, forehead and other areas of the face exposed to year-round sun exposure. Some medications may also make your skin more sensitive to the sun and contribute to hyperpigmentation.
- Hormonal changes in women. Hormone changes can stimulate the production of more skin pigment. During pregnancy, darker patches on the face and other areas may develop.
- Skin irritation. Skin care products that irritate the skin may cause the skin to produce more pigment and dark patches.
How To Erase Hyperpigmentation
One of the most effective ways to treat hyperpigmentation is with photofacial treatments. Photofacials use a series of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) to reduce the appearance of rosacea, age spots, freckles and sun damage. This cosmetic treatment can also reduce the size of enlarged pores while improving the texture of acne prone skin.
In addition to improving the overall appearance of skin discoloration, photofacials can:
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating collagen growth.
- Prevent getting in-grown hairs as it can damage and kill hair follicles.
Photofacial Training at National Laser Institute
Are you ready to offer your clients IPL photofacials and other light-based treatments? Enroll in laser training at National Laser Institute!
With over a decade of excellence, National Laser Institute offers a variety of cosmetic laser courses that can be completed in just two weeks. Each course includes didactic (classroom) education and clinical hands-on training for the ultimate learning experience.
In the classroom, you will learn things like laser biophysics, The Fitzpatrick scale, disorders of the skin, among other topics.
Clinicals are spent in our state-of-the-art training environment where you will receive hands-on training in laser hair removal, tattoo removal, skin tightening, body contouring (CoolSculpting) and more.
Once you complete your course, you will receive job leads from our Graduate Services Department. Each month, they send out over 500 leads to our alumni. This is just one of the things that make us stand out from other medical aesthetics schools.