“How Much Money Can I Make As A Laser Technician?”
In this booming and ever-changing industry, there are new and exciting technologies coming out every year. The more well rounded your skill sets, the more attractive your resumé in the laser marketplace.
Remember: Although Laser Hair Removal is the most popular procedure, if your prospective employer knows you are also proficient in Photofacial Skin Rejuvenation, Fractional Laser Wrinkle Reduction, Radiofrequency Skin Tightening and Laser Tattoo Removal, etc., you are far more valuable as an employee and thus your potential for salary will be significantly higher.
Pay Structure Examples
There are three possible scenarios we commonly see for those working for a medical spa, day spa, physician’s office or other establishment:
- The first and most common is a blend of an hourly rate plus commission. We have seen the hourly rates range from $15-$25 per hour, and in addition pay a commission ranging from 3%-20%.
- The second scenario is a commission only structure, which could range from 10%-40%.
- The third is negotiating a fixed monthly salary (much less common).
Average Treatment Costs To Determine Your Earning Power
1 Hour Laser Hair Removal Treatment = $150+1 Hour IPL Photofacial Skin Rejuvenation = $350
8-Hour Day Scenario
- If you dedicated 5 hours to Laser Hair Removal treatments and 3 hours to IPL Photofacial treatments, then based on the above rates, your revenue for that day would be 5×150(750) + 3×350(1,050) = $1,800 per day!
25% Commission Only Scenario
- $1,800 x 25% or $450 per day x 5 days a week = $2250 x 4.2 weeks = $9450 per month or $113,400 a year.
$15 Per Hour Plus 10% Commission Scenario
- $1,800 x 10% = $180 per day + $15 per hour x 8 hours = $120 for a total of $300 per day x 5 days a week = 1,500 x 4.2 weeks = $6,300 per month or $75,600 a year.If you were only busy 6 hours out of an 8-hour day, that represents 75% of the above numbers or $85, 050 (25% scenario at 70% capacity) or $56,700 (at $15 hour plus 10% scenario at 70% capacity).
Self Employed Scenario
- If one is a little more entrepreneurial spirited and chooses to open their own location, like renting a room in someone’s location or negotiating a partnership deal with a physician, then the opportunities are endless.
- If you choose to open your own business, the bottom line is a function of what your sales and overhead are. In this scenario, you collect 100% of the revenue and your primary expenses are equipment cost and day-to-day expenses of operating your business.
- If you choose to rent a room in someone’s location or negotiate a partnership deal with a physician, then the bottom line is a function of payment structure and your sales. The exciting part of this avenue is you can now market yourself to this establishments existing customer base, which is the golden scenario simply because the most costly part of any new business is the money you spend to market yourself to new potential clients. By having existing “traffic” this is very often the dream scenario.
As you can see, there are many avenues that make it possible to achieve your financial goals in the Medical Aesthetics and Laser World!
Good luck to everyone!