Have you ever considered a career where you can help others look and feel their best? If you answered “yes,” medical aesthetics might be right for you!
Over the past decade, the medical aesthetics industry has seen tremendous growth. Last year, Americans spent $16.7 billion on cosmetic treatments such as laser hair removal, Botox and skin tightening.
In such a lucrative industry, you might wonder: Are there career opportunities for cosmetic laser technicians near me?
Let’s take a look at the state of the health and beauty industry.
How Many Med Spas Are Open in the U.S.?
In its 2017 Medical Spa State of the Industry Report, the American Med Spa Association (AmSpa) reported over 4,200 med spas are now open in the United States. This number has increased by 50 percent since 2016.
AmSpa also found the medical spa industry is worth $3.97 billion and expected to grow at an 8 percent average annual pace until 2022.
Among the 15.7 million cosmetic treatments performed last year, Botox (botulinum toxin) and dermal fillers are still the most requested procedures, making up over half of the cosmetic procedures administered.
What is more interesting is men seek aesthetic procedures to stay competitive at work. They are requesting laser procedures to tighten and tone problem areas, as well as relax wrinkles with Botox and dermal fillers. In the past eight years, Botox for men has increased by 27 percent.
Job Opportunities in Medical Aesthetics
One of the most common questions asked by prospective students is, “Where can I work as a cosmetic laser tech?” Here are a few possibilities:
- Physicians’ offices. A decade ago, cosmetic treatments were primarily performed by plastic surgeons and dermatologists with several years of training. Now, primary care physicians, obstetricians and OB/GYNs are adding different aesthetic services to their practices, because they are cash-based, and there are no insurance hassles.
- Medical spas. Cosmetic lasers compliment non-laser treatments like Botox and dermal fillers. With recent advances in technology, medical spas are expanding their offerings to include aesthetically- and medically-based services.
- Day spas and beauty salons. While day spas typically focus on relaxation and rejuvenation, they have recognized the need to add these services to deliver more dramatic results. Some businesses have brought in a physician or nurse to provide cosmetic procedures to their clients who might already get laser hair reduction and Botox elsewhere.
- Niche boutiques. Small businesses focusing on only one type of treatment can decrease overhead costs while providing excellent service. Niche boutiques have become popular for procedures like laser hair and tattoo removal. While these cosmetic treatments typically require multiple sessions to be effective, this can turn new clients into repeat customers.
- Fitness centers. Recently, some national fitness chains have begun to offer cosmetic laser treatments as part of their in-house spa amenities. Fitness centers are capitalizing on their current member base and expanding to non-members to provide a one-stop-shop.
Cosmetic Laser Training at National Laser Institute
If you are ready to start a career that you will love, it is time to enroll in cosmetic laser courses at National Laser Institute.
Our courses combine didactic theory with clinical hands-on training for the ultimate learning experience. Each session is taught by 13 different instructors – physicians, nurses, cosmetic laser techs, skin care experts and more – with up to 20 years of experience in the field.
The first half of the course is spent in the classroom where you will learn things like the Fitzpatrick scale, laser biophysics, disorders of the skin, tissue interaction, patient care and more.
Clinicals are taught in our state-of-the-art medical spa environment where you will work on scheduled clients to gain real-world experience in a medical setting.
To help you with your job search after graduation, our Graduate Services Department sends out over 500 job leads a month to alumni across the country.