Becoming a successful laser technician largely depends on the type of training you receive.
In most states, you must receive laser technician training to practice your craft.
Laser certification also lets your clients know you have been professionally trained and can operate laser machinery.
Consider Laser Technician Training
Medical aesthetics school is the best place to start if you are considering a career as a cosmetic laser technician.
Training for aspiring certified laser technicians includes hands-on education with cosmetic treatments like laser hair reduction, laser tattoo removal, laser wrinkle reduction, laser skin rejuvenation, body contouring (CoolSculpting) and much more!
In most states, cosmetic laser techs are allowed to operate laser devices, but some states require laser technicians to have nursing (or more advanced) degrees in order to perform certain procedures. So, it’s important to check your state’s regulations.
To legally perform cosmetic injectables, however, you must be a medical professional (physician or nurse) and acquire certification from a medical aesthetics school. Physicians and nurses can also perform cosmetic laser treatments with the proper training.
Career Opportunities as a Cosmetic Laser Tech
Once you attend laser technician training, the job possibilities are endless! You may find yourself working at:
- A physician’s office. Nearly a decade ago, aesthetic treatments were administered by plastic surgeons and dermatologists with several years of experience. Now, primary care physicians, obstetricians and OB/GYNs are adding a variety of medical aesthetic services to their businesses, because the treatments are cash based, meaning there’s no insurance hassles.
- Medical spa. Cosmetic lasers compliment non-laser treatments like Botox and dermal fillers. With recent advances in technology, medical spas are expanding their services to include aesthetically- and medically-based services.
- Day spa or beauty salon. While spas typically focus on relaxation and rejuvenation, they have recognized the need to add these treatments. Some businesses hire a physician or nurse to provide cosmetic treatments to clients who might get cosmetic laser and Botox treatments elsewhere.
- Niche boutique. Small businesses that focus on a single type of treatment can decrease overhead costs all while providing excellent service. Niche boutiques have become popular for things like laser hair and tattoo removal. While these procedures typically require multiple sessions, this can turn new clients into repeat customers.
- Fitness center. Recently, some national fitness chains have begun offering cosmetic laser treatments as part of their in-house spa amenities. Fitness centers are capitalizing on their current member base and expanding to non-members to provide a one-stop-shop.
Laser Technician Training at National Laser Institute
If you are looking for a career change, consider laser technician training at National Laser Institute. After 2 weeks you can start a career that you will love in the medical aesthetics industry!
Our cosmetic laser courses are taught by some of the industry’s leading physicians, nurses, cosmetic laser experts and marketers who have up to 20 years of experience in the field.
The Comprehensive Laser Course is the most popular among attendees. The first half of the course is spent in the classroom where you will learn the fundamentals and basics of laser technology, laser applications, client screening and candidacy, and more.
The rest of the course is spent doing clinical hands-on training in an educational setting. As an attendee, you will have the opportunity to take part in comprehensive laser demonstrations and administer these treatments yourself. And of course, you will have the opportunity to receive free laser treatments. In order to give your clients a great treatment, we want you to know what a laser treatment feels like.
You will learn treatments like:
- Cellulite and Fat Reduction
- IPL Photofacial
- Laser Acne Reduction
- Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Laser Vein Reduction
- Laser Wrinkle Reduction
- Non-surgical Body Contouring (CoolSculpting)
- Radiofrequency Skin Tightening
By the end of the course, you will feel comfortable and confident to perform cosmetic laser treatments in any setting!